Monday, July 6, 2009

July 6th, Chapter 1 & 2

I have been in education since 1992 when I graduated with my teaching certificate in elementary education.  I was intrigued to read what Stripling and Hassell had to say and glad to see that I was already practicing some of what they were preaching.  I have been the librarian at my school for the last three years and one of my ongoing goals has been collaboration.  At the end of chapter 2, they briefly list steps in that process.  I have to say from personal experience, it is very difficult.  It has taken a lot of small steps prior to the ones listed in the book to get to the point where I can do the things listed on page 56 and 57 with the teachers in my district.  That being said, there are still teachers that don't want anything to do with collaboration with me or anyone else for that matter.  

Where I work I am required to teach two connections classes to the middle school students. Every summer I look at my curriculum and evaluate what I want to tweak, take out or leave the way it is.  As I read the chapters for this week, those classes were in the back of my mind.  One is a new journalism style communications class and the other is a research class that I have been doing for several years.  I see ways that I can tweak the assignments and inquiry process for both to further student learning and understanding.  Overall, I thought there was good information to be had in the chapters that would really enhance student learning and allow for differentiation in the classrooms with minimal additional effort from the teacher.  The one problem I see is that too many teachers with any longevity or tenure are not willing to give different a try or step out of their comfort zone. 

3 comments:

  1. I think I took away the same sort of idea that you did from the inquiry based learning strategies - the idea that we, as librarians and collaborators, might need to start slowly or take smaller steps in the beginning. Because inquiry based learning might be a new concept to many and because we have to work with other teachers, integrating small baby-steps into the curriculum sounds like a good way to get started. Like getting into a cold swimming pool - one step at a time from the shallow end until you get used to the water :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about some teachers that do not want to collaborate. In my 7 years of teaching, I am not sure why. I guess it goes back to all of us have different communication styles, but at the same time why wouldn's professionals want to utlize the resources (hello! LIBRARIANS) that are available to them. It is frustrating....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big believer in starting with the coalition of the willing until we reach critical mass within the schools.

    And I also try to remind myself that faculty allies are great, but I'm also really trying to get to the kids. So, if I'm stymied by a science teacher I may make an extra effort with the other disciplines in that grade level so I can still make sure the kids are getting what I need to deliver as part of the curriculum. Of course, while still slowly trying to chip away at those who are a bit resistant!
    We aren't miracle workers and aren't going to change every person in the faculty, but the more impact we have on the overall culture the stronger our programs and the instruction we will be able to help deliver will be.

    ReplyDelete