Sunday, July 19, 2009

Reading pages 9-35

This weeks reading in Gail Bush's book, Every Student Reads, I felt was really primary.  I thought that most of what was covered was stuff that most educators should already know.  But I have been a classroom teacher and specifically a reading and Language Arts teacher for my entire teaching career prior to the library.  The book is a publication of the AASL so it is clearly aimed at the school librarian.  I guess I have always assumed that most librarians in schools come from an education background. Started out as teachers and moved to the library in the school setting.  This book is clearly aimed a librarians that have not followed that path or perhaps the librarian that started at a very different grade level and is now moving to the primary or middle school setting.  I think the information is good for librarians that have never been in that setting before or for perhaps librarians that are really out of it and need to update their skills and communicate with peers and students. I think it would have merit for someone in one of those situations.  While all of the check marks are not for every school or situation or librarian, there are at least 1/3 that can be used for your situation from each section.   As I read it I just kept thinking most of this is stuff I already do or already know.  Best practices, professional development and professional workshops have kept me pretty well up to date along with working on my MLS at Dominican.  Did anyone else have similar feelings about this reading or am I all alone here?

No comments:

Post a Comment